Sr. Scrum Master Job Description
Senior Scrum Master
The Senior Scrum Master will be a key coach for our scrum teams helping them progress through forming, storming and norming stages to become high performing self organizing teams. In addition the senior scrum master will work to mentor and grow the skills of other scrum masters in the organization.
- Serve and support the Product Owner and Development Team in their quest to do everything possible to delight customers
- Provide support to the team using a servant leadership style and leading by example. This person should personify Scrum and Agile.
- Guide and Coach the Scrum Team and organization on how to use Agile/Scrum practices and values to delight customers
- Guide and Coach both the Scrum Team and the Development team on how to get the most out of self organization
- Assess the Scrum Maturity of the team and organization and coach the team to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable for the team and organization
- Remove impediments or guide the team to remove impediments by finding the right personnel to remove the impediment.
- Build a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis of healing and problem solving.
- Facilitate getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work.
- Facilitate discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution
- Assist with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information
- Support and educate the Product Owner, especially with respect to refining and managing the product backlog.
- First level Scrum Master certification (PSM I, CSM, SSM)
- Experience playing the Scrum Master role for at least one year for a Scrum Team
- Demonstrated experience with servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Knowledge of numerous well documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach(example: numerous Burndown techniques, numerous Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc)
- Second or Third level Scrum Master certification (PSM II, PSM III, CSP, CTC, SPC)
- Experience playing the Scrum Master role for at least two years for a Scrum team.
- Experience being on multiple Scrum teams in a variety of different contexts (different team sizes, different organizations, different cultures, co-located vs. distributed, etc)
- Track record of continued and recent education in Scrum, including training, conferences, user groups, self study, etc.
- Knowledge of other approaches discussed in the Agile space: XP, Kanban, Nexus, LeSS, SAFe, Crystal, FDD, etc
- Knowledge and/or experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games
- Applicable knowledge of the technologies used by the team
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills